Banyan Community Services is a community based non-profit organization with over forty years' experience providing a wide range of innovative programs and services to help disadvantaged or at risk members of our community learn new skills, attitudes, and behaviours to help them build a better future.
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic, engaging and positive Relief Cook to become part of our AYC kitchen team. The purpose of this position is to prepare and serve nutritionally balanced and appropriate meals for the youth and staff, including special needs diets. In addition, the Relief Cook will provide assigned housekeeping duties in relations to kitchen areas and storage room.
Provides cooking services to staff and youth for Arrell Youth Centre by performing such duties as:
· Prepare lunches and dinners, decide on volume of food to be cooked to provide adequate meals for youth and staff;
· Prepare special diet for those under medical care;
· Prepare box meals for youth and staff who are out of the building;
· Serve food, ensure correct portions, etc.;
· Receive complaints respecting food or service and taking appropriate corrective action;
· Check food stocks, calculate requirements based on feedings, menu and supplies on hand, notify Senior Cook as to supplies needed;
· Check and ensure supplies;
· Ensure that the kitchen and dining areas are properly maintained, eg. Washing dishes, cleaning floors, oven, fridge, counters, tables, cupboards, tables and chairs, etc.;
· Ensure that sharp, dangerous utensils are accounted for and kept under lock and key when not in use;
· Notify Senior Cook when repairs to appliances or equipment are needed;
· Oversees vocational training opportunities for youth; meal preparation, assistance, washing dishes or general cleaning;
· Work in close proximity to youths when serving meals;
· Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- Formal training as a Chef or sufficient and acceptable experience with volume cooking, preferably in an institutional setting or large restaurant;
- Ability to maintain high standards of cleanliness in kitchen and dining areas;
- Ability to prepare menu based on knowledge of dietary standards;
- Ability to relate to and supervise youths who are assigned to work and learn food service skills;
- Ability to use kitchen equipment; knives, deep fryer, ovens, stoves, steamers, hot plates, and cleaning equipment; brooms, mops, etc.;
- Familiar with MS Office Suite Outlook;
- Excellent organization, communication, written and interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively within a multidisciplinary team;
- A current Criminal Reference Check and Vulnerable Sector Screening;
- Hours of work will include Relief shifts including weekends, rotational shifts, and holiday hours.
Banyan is an equal opportunity employer. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Banyan is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversification of our staff.
We are committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes and work environments. If contacted in relation to an employment opportunity, please advise our Human Resources department or hiring manager of the accommodation measures if required which would enable you to be interviewed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.