NYA;WEH YOUTH ADVISOR
|Company||Niwasa Kendaaswin Teg |
|Date Posted||Oct 5, 2018|
|Closing Date||Oct 15, 2018|
|Position is||Full-Time Regular Monday to Friday - September to June Each Year |
|Wage||$ 20.00 per hour|
|Wage Comments||Wage to be Discussed |
|Hours per Week||40 hours a week |
Title: Nya:weh Youth Advisor
Hours: Monday - Friday, Maximum 40 hours per week, some evening/ weekend hours required. September to June each year
Program: Native Youth Advancement with Education Hamilton
Closing Date: Monday October 15, 2018. 12:00 Noon sharp
Niwasa Kendaaswin Teg provides wholistic programs and service for Indigenous children, youth, families and community that are rooted in culture and language. Our vision is to provide high quality programming that fosters identity formation and creates a sense of belonging.
The NYA:WEH (Native Youth Advancement With Education Hamilton) program is a ‘stay in school’ initiative, to assist and support First Nation, Métis, and Inuit students in elementary and secondary education. NYA:WEH is responsible for empowering Indigenous students toward academic success, through personal, social, and culturally based educational support.
Specific Job Competencies
- Proficient punctuality and attendance
- Critical Thinking
- Decision Making
- Networking and Relationship Building
- Planning and Organization
- Problem Solving
- Ethics and Integrity
- Demonstrated ability to manage key relationships.
- Able to identify key issues; creatively and strategically overcome internal and external challenges or obstacles.
- Must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of historical trauma and intergenerational trauma of Indigenous peoples.
- Experience in a community setting working with Indigenous children, youth and families would be an asset
- A clear and solid understanding of the issues faced by the urban Indigenous community.
- Must maintain a high level of self-awareness and wellness and participate in regular self-care.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Able to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Able to use a wide range of administrative software including MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint).
- To support First Nation, Metis, and Inuit students, in a faith-based, Catholic secondary school environment where the centrality of Jesus Christ permeates all aspects of school life.
- Develop an annual strategic program plan to be submitted to Niwasa and school administration for approval by August 31st of each year.
- Monthly completion and submission of all reports as required by host Principal and Niwasa.
- Planning, resourcing and co-ordination of NYA:WEH Indigenous programs that enhance cultural education and supports (i.e. traditional drum and dance, Elders and programming, cultural workshops, regalia, and field trips, etc.)
- Development and maintenance of a program calendar for NYA:WEH programming of all Indigenous student activities
- Representative for the NYA:WEH program and communication link with the Indigenous community where needed.
- Work with school and system staff to support the emotional, social, cultural, spiritual and intellectual needs of the Indigenous learners and families
- Respond appropriately to a variety of general inquiries regarding NYA:WEH, or provide a referral to the appropriate staff person.
Work Site Location
Cathedral High School
Work Site is Bus Accessible
- Post-Secondary diploma in social services or related field
- Must have a clear Vulnerable Sector Screen.
- Must have a valid First Aid/CPR certification
- Must have all required medical vaccinations
- Knowledge of the importance of First Nations Language and Culture Traditions
How to Apply
Please submit resume and cover letter to:
Attention: Monqiue Lavallee, Executive Director
Niwasa Kendaaswin Teg
1869 Main Street East
Hamilton, ON L8H 1G2
We thank all that apply, however only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
1869 Main Street East , Hamilton ON L8H 1G2
EH can make the DIFFERENCE in your job search!