Title: Cultural Safety Facilitator
Reports to: Early ON Manager
Term: 12 Months per year
Hours: 40 Hours per week, flexibility required
Closing Date: OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Niwasa Kendaaswin Teg provides wholistic programs and service for Indigenous children, youth, families and community that are rooted in culture and language. Our vision is to provide high quality programming that fosters identity formation and creates a sense of belonging.
Under the direction of the Early ON Manager and Executive Director, the Cultural Safety Facilitator is responsible for providing social, cultural and linguistic support and programming for children, youth and families of Niwasa to promote Indigenous identity formation, and support inclusion and diversity.
- Develop relationships with Early Years Service providers and gather feedback on professional learning needs
- Develop workplan based on data collection to facilitate information sessions, conversations and reflective activities that guide teams to reflect on their current practice and support for Indigenous families.
- Develop, update and deliver cultural awareness and safety presentations to Indigenous and non-Indigenous early years service providers.
- Work along side agencies to support creating welcoming environments for Indigenous children and families.
- Utilize the Cultural Safety Toolkit to support programs to take a reflective approach to embedding cultural awareness.
- Knowledge of Indigenous Pedagogy and the How Does Learning Happen? Early Years Pedagogy..
- Other duties as required or assigned by the Executive Director or delegate.
Specific Job Competencies
- Experience delivering cultural safety and awareness training
- Knowledge of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission’s Calls to Action
- Must possess a thorough knowledge and understanding of historical trauma and intergenerational trauma of Indigenous peoples.
- A clear and solid understanding of the issues faced by the urban Indigenous community.
- Experience in a community setting working with Indigenous children, youth and families would be an asset.
- Able to use a wide range of administrative software including MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).