As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, and Respect, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check. Positions responsible for the direct supervision of children and/or vulnerable persons will be required, in addition to a Police Records Check, to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature & Scope:
The School Age Child Care Assistant will assist the supervisor in the planning and implementation of the SACC program to ensure that the program is delivered in compliance with the policies and procedures established by the YMCA and in accordance with the Child Care and Early Years Act. School Age Child Care Assistants are responsible for the supervision of children at all times during program to ensure the health and safety needs of all are met.
- This position requires staff to be flexible and to work a split shift (before and after school hours)
- Program areas are based on shared space within the school and may not be dedicated space, therefore, requiring movement/set up of equipment on a daily/weekly/ monthly basis
- Must be familiar with the developmental needs of children ranging from ages 3.8 to 12 years
- Participant enrolments range from 10 to 90 children in attendance
- Programming for low enrolment is as equally challenging as programming for higher participant enrolments.
- Incumbents must have knowledge of potential hazards and the ability to put a preventative plan in place
- Required to assume leadership in the absence of the supervisor
- Maintains a positive working relationship/image with the Boards of Education, staff, parents, volunteers and children
- One year work/volunteer experience with children/youth
- Minimum age requirement is 18 years
- Completion of High School education or equivalent
- Computer knowledge
- Good communication skills, both written and verbal
- Familiar with the Child Care and Early Years Act and High Five training tools
In addition to bringing commitment to YMCA visions and values, the candidate should have the following competencies:
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Health and Safety
Acknowledges and understands how to manage and educate others of risk and harm reduction
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your letter of application and resume attention:
*Please indicate which location you are applying to (Hamilton, Burlington or Brantford).