As one of the largest charitable community service organizations in Canada, the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford responds to critical social needs in the community and works to provide solutions. By nurturing the potential of children, youth and adults, the YMCA connects people to life-building opportunities, to each other and enhances their quality of life. We foster social responsibility and healthy living. The YMCA works collectively with community partners that share the YMCA’s determination in strengthening the foundations of community for all people
This position requires a commitment to the YMCA mission and core values of: Responsibility, Honesty, Caring, and Respect, as well as, a commitment to building developmental assets in children and adults. All offers of employment will be subject to the provision that the successful incumbent provides the YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford with a current and satisfactory Police Records Check. Positions responsible for the direct supervision of children and/or vulnerable persons will be required, in addition to a Police Records Check, to provide a Vulnerable Sector Screening Report at the time of hire.
Nature & Scope:
The School Age Child Care Supervisor is responsible for the day to day operation of a before and after school program in a local school throughout Brantford. The Supervisor is responsible for developing and implementing a program that meets the development needs of children 3.8 - 12 years of age, while adhering to the YMCA quality standards and the regulations of the Child Care and Early Years Act.
The SACC Supervisor provides coaching and mentoring to the SACC Assistants to ensure the delivery of program and supervision of children takes place. The Supervisor manages a petty cash and identifies program needs and requests for appropriate equipment. Since the program takes place in a shared space, this individual maintains and fosters good relationships with school personnel, parents and other staff to promote the program within the community.
- This position requires the ability and flexibility to work a split shift (before and after school hours)
- Responsible for managing a petty cash. Purchases snack supplies and follows a snack menu plan
- Plan, organize and lead activities for children 3.8 to 12 years of age to meet the developmental needs of children. Program numbers range from 10 to 90 children in attendance
- Ensure the health and safety of the children is maintained at all times
- Adheres to YMCA quality standards and the regulations established in the Child Care and Early Years Act
- Liaise with parents, school personnel and community contacts
- Utilizes appropriate behaviour management techniques in all interaction with the children
- Provides input to the performance reviews of assistants
- Participates in Association wide events i.e. YMCA Strong Kids, Communication Training etc. Required to attend monthly meetings and monthly professional development trainings (10 per year)
- Is a member in good standing of the College of Early Childhood Educators or Ontario College of Teachers or a diploma or degree in Child and Youth Care or a diploma or degree in Recreation and Leisure services
- 2 years supervisory experience in a child care setting
- 18 years of age or older
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Computer knowledge
In addition to bringing commitment to YMCA visions and values, the candidate should have the following competencies:
Child & Youth Focused
Commits to assisting growth and development among children and youth
Planning and Organization
Establishes a clearly defined and effective course of action for self and others to accomplish short and long term work goals.
Communicates in a thorough, clear and timely manner and supports information sharing and goal achievement across the YMCA.
Relationship building and collaboration
Builds positive interactions both internally and externally to achieve work related goals.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is committed to creating an inclusive environment that accommodates all individuals, including those with disabilities. We support the goals of the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Acts (AODA) and have established policies, procedures and practices which adhere to the accessibility standards set out in the AODA. Should you require any accommodation throughout the recruitment process please do not hesitate contacting our Human Resources Department.
The YMCA of Hamilton/Burlington/Brantford is an equal opportunity employer.
If you are interested in this position, please submit your letter of application and resume attention:
*Please indicate which location you are applying to (Hamilton, Burlington, or Brantford)